Is your marriage becoming dull and the ashes are burning down? Well, you’re not alone! Many couples find it difficult to keep the fire ignited. Life gets in the way, work, school, kids and many other life changes.
What do you do when this happens? I asked a few couples what it takes to keep their marriage afloat and keep the flame burning and this is what they said:
*This post contains affiliate links
- Text each other X-Rated verbiage– Ok, maybe PG13 will do the trick too. Sending your husband a text while he’s at work saying something like, “hey handsome, can’t wait till you get home ♥.” This will make him feel manly and wanted. Or to her, “how’s my hot looking wife doing? Will see you in a couple of hours sexy.” Her self-esteem will skyrocket! You never know you might get lucky.
- Pack the Suitcases– Take a short trip, just the two of you. If you have kids or fur babies, leave them with a trusted friend or relative and go on an adventure! It can be a day drive or a weekend trip but just do it.
- Go watch a Movie– Go watch a movie you both have been dying to watch. With life happening, sometimes you don’t have time to go to the movies. Make the time.
- Go on a Picnic– Dust off that picnic set that was gifted to you on your wedding or anniversary and take it for a spin. Pack your favorite wine, glasses, cheese and meat tray and a cozy blanket. Visit a nice park with picturesque views.
- Embrace each Other– When he gets home, receive him with a kiss and a bear-tight hug as if you haven’t seen him in years. While at it, give him a tight squeeze in the buttocks. Maybe he’ll blush.
- Get Talking– Talk to your spouse and interact with him in the conversation. Put everything else aside and have an open ear. Turn off your distractions, like cell phone, TV, computer, etc. and give your full attention. Ask questions, laugh or just listen to what he has to say and vise versa.
- Declare your Love– Talk to each other like when you went on your first or second date. Sometimes we forget to tell each other what we love about each other because we let life be mundane.
- Flirt with Each Other– You heard right! Pretend you don’t know your spouse and say something like, “hi gorgeous, are you married?” Make it kinky and fun so as to get the spark in the relationship.
- Hold Hands– When going to the store or walking at the park, just hold each others hands. Feel the warmth and blood flowing within one another and give each other a little squeeze. If you have stopped doing this, today is the day to start. You’ll love the feeling of skin against skin. Whether you are a teen or already silver lined hair, it never gets old.
These are just a few ideas that will help ignite that low flame in your marriage. If you have been struggling with keeping a romantic mood, these tips can help boost that spark. I also read this book, The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman which explains we all have our own love language.
The five that he mentions are:
1. Words of Affirmation
2. Quality Time
3. Receiving Gifts
4. Acts of Service
5. Physical Touch
I won’t get into much detail but will say that it was an eye opener to know that we don’t all have the same love language or ways of showing and wanting to receive love. If you are struggling with flaring up that flame, you might get more ideas reading this book.
I highly recommend it! If your spouse is struggling with showing you your love language, maybe this book will help him get ideas too.
P.S. What is your love language? Do you know what your spouse’s love language is? If not, you should buy the book here.
*This post contains affiliate links and I’ll earn a small commission if you shop through them. My family and I will greatly appreciate this as this is how we help provide income to our household so we can continue bringing you amazing content.